Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Liberation of females and progress

I visited India in OCtober 2008, and was able to talk to people from many walks of life and could see the very obvious lawlessness, and rule of goondaism in daytoday life. While media will focus on Raj Thackrey etal, in most of the Hindi speaking provinces, there is no rule of law. The only reason that there is apparent peace, is because of vast majority goes about their lives bending their heads and deriving whatever benefit they can from such lawlessness. THere are goonda politicians who rule the population as well as the resources, they can insult, and even physically threaten bearocrats. There are courtiers of these feudal lords, their psychofant loyal supporters, who are situated in every department of public sector right from education, health, taxation, water supply, housing, transport- whose only job is to control the government funds and in return provide protection to incompetent government workers from being reprimanded. And in order to assert and reassert their power, to reassure themselves of it, they have to abuse daily, their coworkers. Helpless though they are, yet they accept it readily as it only to victimize most ordinary Indians.
Only one or two really thinking man/woman I encountered were pessimistic and their only solution was to 'wait for another Gandhi'. But I felt optimistic, there was a reason for it.
I have a hypothesis. If I spread the map of the world before me, and I mark those societies where women are liberated-sexually, financially, socially, politically and free to pursue their own identities- through education or otherwise and have entered the public space- I inevitably see these societies as free from corruption, goondaism and so on. And those societies where females have been subjugated, suppressed are practically exploding, or they are under dictators who are under great strain to postpone the explosion. And there might be various reasons for this.
And as I moved across India, I saw women asserting themselves, young girls being educated and being able to express themselves much more freely than the previous generations, being liberated from the 'kitchen' and attached responsibilites- I have a reason to be optimistic.
Don't agree with me? See this news coming from my own home state.
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/mp-minister-gets-jail-lady-officer-gets-appreciation/384297/

No comments: